Saturday, October 23, 2010

What's your Sacred Space?

I spent hours here...


The creek in my backyard was more than just a place we would scurry to after being kicked out of the house and into the summer heat... It was a retreat. It was a haven.
Two gigantic mountain rocks pointed down into the woods behind my house; worm-like roots from fallen trees littered the creek bed liberally, twisting and winding all the way back to my best friends' backyard down the road.

On Monday, Dr. Bains started the discussion in class by asking the group to identify the places we considered "sacred." Three places in particular popped into my head: the creek in my backyard, my bedroom at home, and the playroom from my childhood. Every one I could think of had an element of nostalgia, of looking back--I think sacred spaces for me are very commemorative in functionality~

But we also talked about (and read about) the situational, substantive, and aesthetic sacred space--
So on that note, I'm really interested in hearing about what places everyone considered to be sacred--Did y'all think of your churches, synogogues, places of worship, etc.? What about a beautiful place out of doors that is just notable for its aesthetic appeal--could this place be considered sacred? Could something be said for the psychological vs. physical sacred space?

In terms of the physical sacred spaces, 'inscriptions' or symbols are integrated into the architecture itself, thus giving the place it's own unique (but incredibly dynamic) identity. Identity is ever-shifting, however, as is the congregation, time, and context; the space itself therefore contains an intrinsic level of instability. This is where I think the commemorative, mental sacred space differs; the "memory" aspect of a psychological space makes it less susceptible to instability. In some ways this makes the mental sacred space even more "corporeal" than the physical one--weirdly enough! In terms of functionality, that is.

Anyway, Dr. Bains lecture that night was more specifically about architectural sacred spaces in Washington D.C. He maintained that from the "National Cathedral to the National Gurdwara," houses of worship retained a 'sacred' identity in two ways: by being a "civic" or a "congregational" space. I was a little confused on the difference between these, however--Prof, you think you could shed some light on this for me? I think I pretty much understand what Dr. Bains' was trying to say about the sacred space overall, but I wasn't as sure about the specifics.


So...y'all tell me what you think! What are the places you call "sacred?" What function does it serve for you? See y'all Monday :)

2 comments:

  1. First of all, WOW! I can not believe that was your backyard, it's gorgeous! Anyway, for me sacred space is anywhere I can have my mind cleared, relaxed and really reflect on my thoughts. Usually that is in the comfort of my own home, as I am a home body anyway. But also, often I can really find myself able to reflect while I am at church. However, it is not church itself that I find to be sacred because for me, church is God's people and the building is just where we meet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh second what Stephanie said. Seriously, no backyard from now on will be as cool as that one, so thanks for ruining every house I'll ever have Emma.
    For me though I have two, one would be the back patio where I smoke, I'm almost always alone back there, trees and grass, no people, it's very calming for me. The other one isn't so much a place technically. I like to write and I have a few books started and one of them in particular I just love getting immersed in.

    ReplyDelete